Re: How to display CLI output on another machine

On Sunday 07 January 2007 18:38, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I can ssh into my other machine ok, and can edit files, etc, which is no
> > problem.
> >
> > What I would like to do is to have access to what is currently displayed
> > on the CLI (Konsole) on machine B. As an example. I run apt-get update,
> > then apt-get dist-upgrade on machine B, which runs to completion. The
> > history is still on the CLI.  I now need to post the history from the CLI
> > on machine B to a mailing list. The email client (Kmail) is on machine A.
> >
> > Is there a way to display the history that's on the CLI on machine B on
> > machine A, so that I can simply highlight the text, then paste it to
> > Kmails composer on machine A?
> >
> > Both machines are next to one another, but at the moment I have to save
> > the CLI history on machine B as a text file, ssh into B from A, and use
> > nano to display the text file, before I can highlight, and paste the text
> > into Kmails composer.
>
> If you do all your work from a machine running X (i.e. ssh to the others
> in terminal windows) you should be able to cut/paste directly from
> any window to any other.  Aside from being very handy for commands
> you want to repeat across machines, you should be able to grab the
> output of anything to paste into mail as long as it fits in the
> window or the terminal scroll-back size.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx

Apologies for my ignorance but I'm not having much success here.

X is running on both machines, which are both next to one another. At the
moment I have text on KDE's Konsole on machine B. I need to be able to see
this text on machine A. I can ssh into machine B from machine A with no
problem. I can then type "konsole", but this just opens an empty konsole.
What I'm looking for is to display what's on machine B's Konsole on machine
A.

Sorry that I'm not terribly clued up.

Nigel.