Re: how to force the use of a web proxy?

On 1/4/07, Miles Brennan <miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Guillermo Garron wrote:
>> http://www.brennan.id.au/11-Squid_Web_Proxy.html#transparent
> I am using this option and is great!, off course this is supposing all
> your network is going to Internet using this Linux Box.
> If not please explain us more about your topology.

I haven't update that HOWTO since FC6 was released (a bit busy), but
the transparent config has changed a little since FC5.

Most of the "httpd_accel" options have been removed in the latest
squid, now you configure transparency on the httpd_port option.

http_port 192.168.1.1:3128 transparent

If your network traffic passes through a Linux box, you can "redirect"
the packets to your proxy server with some fancy iptables rules, this
is transparent to your users. Or as most have said so far, block all
outbound HTTP(S) 80/443 traffic expect from your proxy, then they must
use your network proxy - just depends on  your setup.

The benefit of using transparent proxy is that you only need to set up
the network once, as opposed to setting up all of the computers and
each program separately for the non-transparent option.

Thank you very much!
regards,

Guillermo.
--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."