Re: Fedora Add/remove software

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:14 +0530, Pushparaj Shetty wrote:
I have installed FC6. After successful installation I wanted to add
software like latex, dia etc.
But it said: Another program is using this and aborts. same is the
problem with yum
to be sure:
ps aux|grep -E 'yum|pup|pirut|rpm'

That would be the program that automatically checks for updates.  You'd
need to stop it first (which seems rather stupid to me, you shouldn't
have to do that, the program should be co-operative with manual
installation of more software).

I killed it off, permanently, a long time ago.  So this is going from
memory:  As root, run:  service yum-updatesd stop
System|Admin|Services stop is equivalent gui way. You would also then have easy access to the start service in runlevel checkboxes :)

Now, you ought to be able to use yum, manually, or other utilities that
make use of yum.
I occasionally see this effect to; some times it seems to be soon after logging in, but before the puplet tray icon shows. I think if I wait a few minutes, then yum based apps then operate OK. Also, I think there was a combo problem between rpm and the previous kernel-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6, that could leave rpmq hung.

DaveT.