Re: DNS Server search order

On 1/5/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:24 +0000, Dan Track wrote:

> I've got a problem resolving some internal hosts. I've listed three
> servers in my resolv.conf. The first two (ext1 ext2) are external and
> the last is internal (int 1). With this setup I'm unable to resolve my
> internal hosts.
>
> However if I rearrange the dns servers so I now have
>
> nameserver int1
> nameserver ext1
> nameserver ext2
>
> I can resolve the internal hosts easily.
>
> So my question is really why won't the hostnames get resolved if the
> internal DNS server is last in the list to be queried ?

The usual process is to query the first, wait for a response, then query
the next if there's no response.  This will mean, at least, a
significant delay for internet name resolution.  The time-out for the
first two isn't always quick.

What you're asking it to resolve might play a part in why you're not
getting an answer.  If the external resolvers do provide some answer,
but not the one that you want (such as reverse look-ups on 192.168.x.y
addresses), that'd be the cause of your problems.

You can dispense with the external resolvers, and use your internal one
for all queries (internal and internet addresses).

HI

Thanks everybody for your help. I guess the crux of the matter then is
for me to put the internal DNS server first.

Thanks
Dan