Re: Source for Fedora kernels

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Is there somewhere I can find the source used to build the kernel RPMs available when updates occur? Not the naked source and hundreds of patches, but the real source in /usr/src/kernels which seems to be what interesting kernel features want? I really want to try KVM, having decided that xen just isn't working on FC6 with selinux functional.

Trying to guess what patches were applied, in what order, and build source and kernel from scratch is a long painful process I really don't need. Moreover, it appears that the RPM kernl binaries are built with a compiler other than the default gcc4.x or the "compat" gcc3.x.

I assume that the real source is available somewhere.

You still want the SRPM. I think you want to install it with rpm -ivh, then start the build with rpmbuild -bp. That will apply the patches and get you ready for the build step.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu