Re: Help with restoring IDE image to SATA drive

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 16:11 -0500, FS wrote:

> You say "Note the kernel module that gets loaded for this machine" I'm
> assuming this is for the new SATA box. Since I can't boot into the
> machine, is there any other way to gather this information? I can boot
> into knoppix, mount the SATA drive and read files off of it. I can
> even edit the modprobe.conf to add whatever needs to be added to it,
> but what should I add?

The best approach is to boot from the FC1 install CD with
linux rescue
at the boot prompt.  It will then detect your partitions and
if they match /etc/fstab will mount them under /mnt/sysinstall
and suggest that you 'chroot /mnt/sysinstall' to continue.

> > Then run
> > mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2199.nptl.img  2.4.22-1.2199.nptl
> > to rebuild the image with the module you need.
>
> This needs to be run on the new machine too? Any alternate way of
> running this if the machine is not bootable?

If FC1 included the driver you need, you'll be able to boot from
its install CD.  If not, I'd start thinking about an upgrade
path.  FC1 is really, really old now.  There are people who have
successfully upgraded existing FC systems (and you can probably
google some instructions for what you have to fix by hand) but
I always prefer a new install followed by copying the old stuff I
want to keep over. But, that takes another disk or having the old
system still running on the network.

> You are right. It is FC1. I checked the fstab file by mounting the
> drive after booting in Knoppix and one entry was for hda, which I
> changed to sda. If I have to edit the modules.conf, what should I use
> for the module name to add and where would I get the driver file from?
> When I do get that file where do I place it for the system to find?

If you get that far, an 'lsmod' after booting the FC1 disk should
show the module name.  Also, if you ever plan to do this again and
know the target controller ahead of time, you can rebuild the
initrd image to contain the right module before copying to the
new drive.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx