Re: Sign cutter

Frank Cox wrote:
We were discussing Linux and he told me that he has a Summa D60U sign cutter
machine (basically a plotter) and uses a program called Flexi Sign and Corel
Draw to lay out his signs.  He asked me if there was a Linux driver for his
sign cutter so he could do his layouts with Scribus instead.  I said I would
check on it.

I can find no reference to Summa-anything on http://www.linuxprinting.org; does
anyone know anything about this sign cutter machine and its Linux support?  He
said that the machine "speaks" HPGL.

Linux print systems (like CUPS) don't support HPGL directly.

However, if your program can generate HPGL output, you could probably set up a "raw" print queue so that CUPS dumps the HPGL output "as is" to the plotter.

Also, you might be able to save HPGL files, and dump them to a parallel or serial port, depending on your plotter configuration.

I think QCAD, Scribus, Inkscape, VariCAD, and others offer some level of HPGL support. Varicad is supposed to have plotter support built-in, but I haven't tried it. (Varicad is not free).

- Mike