Re: WARNING: Kernel Errors Present

On Thursday 04 January 2007 14:43, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 12:43 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Warnings like this crop up regularly in logwatch:
> >
> >     Buffer I/O error on device hdc, l ...:  10 Time(s)
> >     Buffer I/O error on device hdd, l ...:  20 Time(s)
> >     end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector ...:  2 Time(s)
> >     end_request: I/O error, dev hdd, sector ...:  4 Time(s)
> >     hdc: command error: error=0x54 { Ab ...:  2 Time(s)
> >     hdc: command error: status=0x51 { D ...:  2 Time(s)
> >     hdd: command error: error=0x54 { Ab ...:  4 Time(s)
> >     hdd: command error: status=0x51 { D ...:  4 Time(s)
> >
> > They refer to my two DVD drives (and appear whenever the drives have been
> > used).  Is there any significance that I should be aware of?
>
> I get that when you put a blank disc in, and they're trying to figure
> out what to do with them.  They can't read the disc, so get an error.

I've seen similar messages when xine couldn't read a disk burned in my
stand-alone dvd recorder (happens from time to time, and I always check burns
in xine).

> Occasionally crappy unreadable discs provoke Nautilus into opening the
> disc writing window, thinking I've inserted a blank.
>
> Try inserting a blank and watching the results, then try with some discs
> that you're sure are okay.

On this occasion I was ripping my new CDs for playing direct on the computer.
I tried kaudiocreator because it was already installed, and got piles of
errors saying that it had failed.  (I discovered later that it had in fact
succeeded!)  I've always used grip before, so that's what's installed and
running now.

Unless someone comes up with something concrete I'm going to assume that the
warnings are not important, and ignore them.

Anne