Re: ****How to setup a Linux mail server?

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 17:02 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 January 2007 16:14, Craig White wrote:

> > > Dovecot has the advantage of good on-line documentation - and a mailing
> > > list if required.
> >
> > ----
> > and perfectly acceptable for those who want to run their own mail
> > server.
> >
> True - and because the documentation is good it's not hard to set up.  I
> collect from several email addresses for myself and my husband with
> fetchmail, then pass it to procmail for sorting and delivering.  Dovecot then
> runs the imap for both of us.
>
> Another advantage to some people is its ability to handle both pop and imap.
>
> > cyrus-imapd however, is mail server for those who want it all (mail
> > quotas, public mailboxes (a rich ACL environment), auto subscribe, auto
> > sieve, auto create (folders), high performance, non-shell users, etc.
> >
> Also comes well-recommended, though I've not used it myself.
----
dovecot, like the wu-imapd that it replaced on Fedora/RHEL and
cyrus-imapd are all capable of pop3 so I am not sure that there is any
distinction there.

procmail is sort of an abortion that requires the user to have a valid
shell whereas sieve implementation via cyrus-imapd is perfectly capable
of running server based filtering for virtual users (non-shell) that
exist even without a home directory. In exchange for less power than
procmail, you get usability with sieve.

Monster features of cyrus-imapd include (beyond those listed above),
automatic indexing of users mailboxes for fast searching, automatic
expiration (I typically have it expire e-mail from people's spambox
after 7 days), and when combined in a package like horde/imp/ingo
described below, users can share their INBOX or other mail folders with
other users as well as maintain their own server based rules/filters
(i.e. vacation), without administrator involvement.

I typically set up postfix*, sqlgrey[1], mailscanner[2], spamassassin*,
clamav**, horde/imp/ingo/kronolith/mnemo/nag/turba/wicked[3], at my
clients for a robust, multi-user mail system that includes shared
mail/calendars/notes/tasks with minimal spam. I also use OpenLDAP* for
user accounts, personal and shared address books and webmin[4] to
maintain the user accounts (single password for
Linux/Macintosh/Samba-Windows user authentication) as webmin has a
reasonably useful LDAP Users and Groups module.

*   packaged Fedora/RHEL core
**  packaged rpmforge
[1] http://sqlgrey.sourceforge.net/ (Greylisting for Postfix)
[2] http://www.mailscanner.info/    (Mail wrapper & more)