Re: Making Fedora Boot CD

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 14:55 -0600, Coy Scott wrote:
> Whenever I installed GRUB on the master boot record (MBR) and then
> rebooted windows XP, the software detected "file corruption" and
> forced a reinstallation of Windows XP.  This overwrote the MBR,
> removing GRUB and making it impossible to boot Fedora.
>
> So, I tried the only other installation option.  I had the
> installation program install GRUB on first sector of the boot
> partition (/dev/sda6).  However, when I reboot the computer, GRUB
> never gets to run because Windows XP is using the MBR.

Sounds like you might want to take this approach:

Copy the Linux boot record as a file into the Windows partition, and use
the XP bootloader to boot either Windows or Linux.  This way your boot
record stays as Microsoft demands.

It's ages since I arranged that for a friend's multi-boot machine, so
I'd defer to someone else's advice for setting it up.  It's also covered
on the internet in various places.  I just Googled for boot.ini grub
<http://www.google.com.au/search?q=boot.ini+grub>, and found this:
<http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2337> (which is a rather complex page of
what I described - there's bound to be something less convoluted).
<http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html> looks a bit
easier to follow.

See how you go.

I read messages from the public lists.