Re: [Fwd: Re: Disk space for FC6]

On Monday 01 January 2007 13:40, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >>1GB swap size for 512MB actual mem ?
> >>So, your formula is swap = actual mem * 2 ( 2x) , right ?
> >
> >Yes.  It used to be thought that you should always have 2x actual memory,
> > but that was in the days when memory was small.  It's said that nowadays
> > you never need more than 512MB unless you have some activity that uses a
> > large amount of memory over noticeable amounts of time.  Others on the
> > list will tell you which specific activities could cause that situation.
> > With big drives it just seems easier to give a whole GB rather than split
> > it.
> >
> >Anne
>
> So, is there a tool for changing the size of swap partition if more
> application program need to be running ?

I doubt it.  There are other ways if you really need it, though.  You can have
more than one swap partition.  If you have two drives it can be beneficial to
have a swap on each, particularly if you have very frequent writes.  There's
also the possibility of a swap file, though I know nothing more about that.
Most of the time linux handles swap so efficiently that it moves things in
and out of memory, barely touching the swap partition at all.

Is there anything about swap that particularly worries you?  Have you already
got a swap partition that you think may be too small, or are you just
worrying in case you make the wrong decision?

If disk space is not a problem to you, leave some of your disk empty.  You can
then use the additional space to rectify any problems caused by a wrong guess
at the beginning.

Anne