Re: Errors with Soft RAID 5 Array, no disks off line

vamythguy wrote:
I have a 4 disk soft RAID-5 array and I'm receiving a ton of these messages in the system logs:

Dec 31 17:04:38 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sda, 3 Offline uncorrectable sectors Dec 31 17:04:39 tibeaux smartd[2384]: Device: /dev/sdd, 48 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Best way to fix this, or is it not a problem?
It is a problem. This means that both drives are starting to develop bad sectors. Since you have raid 5, you can replace the disk and let the array rebuild itself. Or keep using those disks, but add a hot spare disk to the array. I usually replace the disks as soon as I see smartd complain about them, but if you wait too much , you risk loosing your data.. Last time I replaced a disk in such condition, it had over 1600 uncorrectable sectors, making it impossible to transfer the data to the new disk via DD, pvmove, cp... Luckily it was just a proxy/gateway/vpn server, so a reinstall wasnt difficult.

--
Pedro Macedo