Re: donated computers lab setup

Guillermo Garron wrote:
On 12/31/06, Norm <maillist@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 09:22 -0800, Norm wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>>> Not too many years ago I scored a collection of XTs, 286s, and a 386
>>> from the local high school that was just going to dump them. I sorted >>> out what worked, and a local disability group took them for their blind
>>> members to log onto their BBS to chat, do mail, and play games.  Even
>>> what most would consider to be obselete, often has a use to someone.
>>>
>>> The lady who took them off my hands was confined to a wheelchair, barely >>> able to speak or do anything physical, but you'd never guess that when
>>> you chatted to her on-line.  Computers to her, were a liberating
>>> experience.  Just for a change, she got treated the same as everyone
>>> else.
>>>

>> Tim
>> Your project is the type of project more of us in the IT world should
>> do.  Too often people in IT are considered nerds and not part of the
>> real world, if a a group we use our IT skills to help the disadvantaged
>> and at the same time spread the use of Linux we can all feel we have
>> done something to help society.
>
> Well here's one of huge magnitude that needs Linux users to reclaim Open
> Source ground that Windows and Mac users have grabbed a hold of.
>
> http://www.croquetcollaborative.org
>
> Yeah, I'm gonna pang on this one until we get some interest started.
>
> People like Alan Kay are directing this project and if we snooze we
> lose. The project is completely Open Source, but from the people I am in
> contact with, there is for all intensive purposes very little
> participation shown by the Linux Community. We leave it to the Win / Mac
> crowd, someone will paste a "For Sale" sign on parts of it or patent
> Virtual Reality and then the crying towel gets tossed into the ring.
> And, it'll be our own damn fault.
>
> This is bigger than spreadsheets and databases ever thought of being.
> IMHO, it's the next Big Thing that can issue in the New Era. The dnload
> is supposed to work with Linux, Windows and OS-X. Guess which part is
> the buggiest? First introduced under Linux, it can't find openGL
> libraries out of the box.
>
> I'd REALLY like to see the Fedora Foundation and RH take this one under
> their wing as Alan Kay is also part of the $100 one-laptop-per-child
> project, as is RH and MIT. I'm using it for my OAR project to reduce the > recidivism rate among the 2.7 million incarcerated in the US. As much as > I cut up, I'm stone cold serious on this one. I want to put RH or Fedora > on the servers with everything running as it should, and I'm no coder by
> any stretch of the imagination. I want to get Linux into public
> institutions, in this effort, before Bill Gates sees 2.7 million
> licenses. Ca! Ching!
>
> Please dnload it and check it out. See if you can figure out why it
> doesn't grok localhost, running a server and a client app on the same
> [...]
Ric
Years ago Mac almost became the OS of choice after they started giving
few equipment to schools.  Most people will prefer to stay with the OS
the first learn on.  The Linux community is no where near as cohesive as
a single company like Apple or Microsoft can be.  This does not mean we
can not take a page out of the marketing manual of the others,  As a
community we need to find projects that will bring new users into the
community.  How, each of us have specific ares of interest related to IT
and and the world at large(in my other world I swing into an
environmentalist mode),  If as a New Years resolution we can each
resolve to bring one more person into the Linux community, by finding
ways to support projects like th One-Laptop-Per-Child we can make a
difference.  Support can take many forms from expanding the number of
application they will need, of course money, providing recycled
computers to those that miss out on the one laptop program, but probably
the biggest area is in finding ways to supply individual support to
encourage the child to stay with the program.  Is there an online help
or mail list focused towards the program that will be available?  The
challenge of setting up a useful multi-language help desk is big.   As
community do we have the resources to do this?  If we can keep the new
users on Linux for their first year the odds are they will stay for a
lifetime.
You are right, that is specially helpfull in countries like mine
(Bolivia) where most of people do not have PCs, and if they have they
can't afford to pay Microsoft for using XP, or Vista, or anything.
Linux is a great chance to do it, but as you said, they need support
to stay on linux, as the most users are on windows.
I am starting one week ago a site
www.go2linux.org (where i will try to put the few things I know about
linux) also created jaws.go2linux.org (Spanish site) and
foro.go2linux.org (a spanish forum)
that will be my small help to the linux community.
Any ideas are welcome, and if some of you have documents or How-Tos to
share with me, or I can translate to spanish to publish here, will be
great!

regards,

Guillermo.

Guillermo.
Good to see that you are doing your part. I don't have any recycled PC available at this time and none "promised". If I acquire several (enough to make shipping them worth while) are you in a position to distribute them? Recently I found a well written howto on SSL certificates at http://www.eclectica.ca/howto/ssl-cert-howto.php, He does have a Spanish version on line already but it may be a good quick add to your site.