Re: Cups error - "An error occurred while retrieving the printer list. ": why ?

Mark Ryden wrote:

> I have a machine with newly installed  Fedora Core 6 (i386).
> I had ran "yum update" on that machine.
>
> When starting kprinter I get the following error message:
>
> An error occurred while retrieving the printer list.
>
> Connection to CUPS server failed.
> Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running.
> Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

It's not clear to me what your setup is;
is the printer attached to your computer,
or are you trying to print on a remote machine?

In any case, I would suggest taking your browser
to <http://127.0.0.1:631> when you should see the CUPS page.
If you don't, there is something wrong with your CUPS setup.
If you do, you could try adding the printer there.

In my experience, it is better to do everything
through this CUPS web-page;
in fact I would start by going to system-config-printer
and removing any printer shown there.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366