Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 10:08 -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Timothy Murphy writes:

What is the safest way of allowing access to a home system
from a remote computer?
I am running Fedora-6 and shorewall.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
Run ssh on a non-default port.

Turn off passwords.  Use ssh certificates.

There is something wrong with just saying use ssh. One assumes that the
home machines are masqueraded behind a router. It seems to me that one
must configure that all packets arriving at the router address be routed
to a particular home machine address.
Rebellion lay in his way, and he found it. -- William Shakespeare,
"Henry IV"

Goto this site below and download, NX Free Edition for Linux, NX Node for Linux, NX Client for Linux The NX will work right out of the box on FC 5, 6 and it uses SSH tunneling, SSH X-Forwarding.
I use the NX-Client on my Laptop and a PC Server 800 miles away.
The only kicker is , because the PC server on the other end is connected to DHCP internet ISP, the person at the PC server has to send me the the IP address , by going to http://getip.com, If you have a
static IP (Fixed IP) for the server then you would be ahead of the game.

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

Jim