Re: tip: automated way to delete duplicate rpms

Kim Lux wrote:
I recently updated a server from fc3 to fc6.  All seemed to go well
except the first yum attempt to update the machine failed and when I
entered synaptic I received a ton of errors about duplicate rpms
installed on the machine.  I've run into this issue before.
Unfortunately neither yum nor synaptic has a way to deal with it, as far
as I can tell.
Rather than manually go through the list of offending rpms and delete
them, I did things semi automatically.  There were 120 duplicate rpms on
my machine, so manually typing the full package names would have taken a
This process quickly and correctly removed the duplicate rpms from my
machine. I hope this helps someone.

There is a tool available to solve duplicate package problems: see
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2006-December/009451.html

It seems to work fine, no heroics {like Kim used above} were required.

DaveT.