DVD Playback problems

Hi, I am not sure if it's a hardware problem or a software problem,
but it seems like the problems started with fc6, that is I dont recall
having these isuues with 4 and 5...

I have a dvd/cdr combo drive...

The problem is some dvd's are not being mounted, and some are, but
sometimes after a couple of tries the disk will automount, other times
if I reboot with the dvd in the drive it's there, and other times it's
not.

I have no problems with CD's in the same drive.  Reading and writing
works fine.

Any one else having dvd playback problems?  And is there any way other
than buying a new drive to prove it is a hard ware problem?

--
Rob