Re: donated computers lab setup

On 12/29/06, john s. <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
jim tate wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>>> Good Will Industries used to slap FC3 on theirs, in Roanoke VA. Great
>>> people to do so. They'd sell an entire outfit for $100. I doubt FC5 or
>>> FC6 would install though. Happy New Year to you, too. Ric
>>>

>> A small FC6 install will drop fine onto a 128MB box although for a small
>> box its quicker to set up an image on a larger box, make sure it has the
>> right i586 etc kernel/glibc installed and then rsync it using an
>> external
>> disk caddy
>>
>> A base system with X, xfce, sylpheed, abiword should be quite
>> acceptable,
>> just avoid all the heavy gnome/kde stuff.
>>
>> Alan
>>

> Yeah, will I can't FC6 to install on a HP omnibook laptop because of ,
> only 128meg of memory.

  Noticed the same thing with mine. Installed okay with 384mb.

Since version 10.1 OpenSuSE requires 384 MB of memory to run in live
mode. It's really a crying shame: There are so many old boxes with 256
MB or less memory and I cannot demo either of the top Linux distros on
them.

How do you convert people if they cannot try out the product? What
other live distros are in the same boat?