Re: Looking for kernel modules for Zaptel.

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 03:07:34PM +0000, William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 06:25:57PM -0700, William F. Acker WB2FLW
> >+1-303-722-7209 wrote:
> >>     In extras, I find zaptel, zaptel-devel, zaptel-utils and zaptel-lib,
> >>none of which appear to contain any kernel modules.  I'm at a loss to
> >>understand what one could do with the packages without modules.
> >
> >That's because upstream signaled that it wants to submit the modules
> >into the kernel proper. You can find kernel modules for zaptel at
> >ATrpms, if you need them.
> >
> Good afternoon, Axel.  I use a custom kernel and, therefore, must rebuild
> any external modules.  Has anyone, other than you, actually managed to
> rebuild your kernel module SRPMS??  If it can be done, would you kindly
> tell us how?

Many people have, and there is scattered documentation around the net
on custom kernel rpms and kmdls (unfortunately ATrpms' docs suck at
the level of being non-existant). I think one of the nicer ones I'm
aware of is

http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/LCG_kernel_modules.html

If you have your kernel already installed and layed out as Fedora
expects it all you need is to choose where to drop the macros and
simply rpmbbuild --rebuild. Paulo's docs go much further than this as
he's doing lots of kmdl rebuilds and has automated every bit there is
:)

Be aware that the upcoming kmdl2 specs and implementations will be a
bit different, but will have better docs ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net