Re: copy and tar performance?

Les Mikesell wrote:
Jim Cornette wrote:
Mogens Kjaer wrote:
Kevin Kempter wrote:

Thanks for the info.  How do I enable DMA on a SATA drive?

Is your drive /dev/hda or /dev/sda? This could depend
upon settings in your BIOS.

Try running hdparm on /dev/hda or /dev/sda and post
the result.

Mogens

Just a note for when the next Fedora release is out, IDE hard drives will be referred to as /dev/sdx instead of /dev/hdx devices. If you use devices instead of LABEL= to refer to your drives, get ready for editing.

And if you use LABEL= to refer to your partitions, be aware that
moving them from one machine to anoher is likely to cause confusion
with duplicates that is difficult to fix.

Both methods have flaws due to circumstance. I like both methods and usually go with labels and specify the names at boot. I like the idea of randomizing names in default installations. I put labels as below.
 cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/80g              /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot80g          /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/home80g          /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=SWAP-hdb3         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda5vol/LogVol01   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Jim

--
Power is the finest token of affection.