Re: what is linux-gate.so

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 19:14:39 +0100
"Chitlesh GOORAH" <chitlesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have seen everywhere on internet  linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
>
> but why is my    linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0x00732000)

Beacuse you have a new and improved kernel that randomizes
the address space to give the folks who implemented the address
space randomizer a false sense of security about preventing
buffer overrun exploits while making it impossible to actually
debug any real buffer overrun problems by making it impossible
to ever reproduce the same program behavior :-).

(Meanwhile a completely different group of fanatics are spending
all their time trying to make programs load 1 nanosecond faster
by having the system spend hours pre-relocating libraries so they
will load faster at a particular address they will never actually
load at because the kernel randomizes the load addresses of everything.
Too bad these folks never talk to each other :-).

If you run some more program and check their /proc/pid/maps
file, you'll find linux-gate.so.1 in lots of different places.