Re: 1440x900 wide screen monitor

--- Pete <pchoppin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Fedora Core 4
> 82945G Express Intel Graphics Adapter
>
> Greetings
>
> I just received a ViewSonic wide screen flat panel
> LCD monitor.
> Unfortunately, this model is not available in my
> monitor list.
>
> I have been told there is a way to configure (i.e.
> add the dimensions
> somehow) this in Linux.  I have searched Google and
> have not found
> anything which is helpful.
>
> Any hints on where to find help on this or if
> someone is willing to
> hand-hold me through a configuration, I would be
> grateful.
>
> --
> Pete
>
> --

Pete,

   One way that I know how to do this is booting onto
level 2, when booting choose a and add a 3 and login
as root

type
# Xorg --configure
then test X server with instructions that appear at
the end type those and then CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE after
you know that it works.
#
# cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
overwrite xorg.conf?  Choose yes.  Then take a look at
the resultant xorg.conf file and Take a look at the
Horizontal Refresh and Vertical Refresh in the Monitor
Section.  Make sure that it matches your
specifications in the Monitor section

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      300   230     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL D1028L"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use
DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 69.0
        VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

To add the 1440x900 lines look for the bottom lines
In the Section Screen

Where it says something like
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
# you can add here
               Modes  "1440x900"  "1024x768"
"800x600"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
               Modes  "1440x900"  "1024x768"
"800x600"
        EndSubSection

and test out your configurations.  This should help
you out.  In my xorg.conf file I do not need the
"1280x1024", "1024x768" lines, it works for me.  In
your case you might need them to make sure that it
displays at the highest possible resolution/best
resolution for you.

Regards,

Antonio

Here's a copy of my xorg.conf file for reference
[olivares@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
        ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
        FontPath     "unix/:7100"
        FontPath     "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "vnc"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        #DisplaySize      300   230     # mm
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "DEL"
        ModelName    "DELL D1028L"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use
DDC:
        HorizSync    30.0 - 69.0
        VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0
        Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        ### Available Driver options are:-
"True"/"False",
Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"                  #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"                  #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"                   #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"                  #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "UseFBDev"                  #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate"                    #
[<str>]
        #Option     "VideoKey"                  # <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"                 #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "FPDither"                  #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "CrtcNumber"                # <i>
        #Option     "FPScale"                   #
[<bool>]
        #Option     "FPTweak"                   # <i>
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV11DDR [GeForce2 MX 100 DDR/200
DDR]"
        BusID       "PCI:0:9:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"