gthumb on FC6 not seeing jpeg files

I'm baffled on how to trouble shoot this one. I have a machine running FC6 with the 2.6.18-1.2798 kernel and gthumb-2.7.8-3. When called from the command line as a viewer, gthumb will happily display my jpeg files. However, used as a browser like I usually use gthumb, no jpeg files are found, although gif files are. I'm not finding any error messages either in the log files, nor when running gthumb from the command line. Turning selinux on or off doesn't seem to matter. Nautilus does see the files.

Any ideas on what is going on here? I've got a new granddaughter who lives out of state, so pictures are the only contact at the moment.

Thanks in advance