Re: VOTE

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 11:01 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> Nah, its all propaganda from the "if you can't dazzle them with
> >> brilliance, baffle them with technospeak" crowd.
> >
> >Or ranting from someone who had to maintain code with thousands of
> >goto's to targets not visible on the same page and mostly slight
> >spelling variations of the same word.   It is easy to lose the logic
> >if you can't track the program flow.
>
> And that's dead on too, Les.  Years ago I went through an amiga program
> full of goto's and buggier than a 10 day old carcass, changing every goto
> name into something I could remember.  I found and fixed 7 or 8 bugs and
> made a stable program out of it that way, but before I was done I
> questioned every aspect of the authors breeding.  That was back when I
> had CommodeDoor stuff under the desk...  Seems like yesterday but it was
> probably in the early 90's.

Long before that, vi had bracket/brace matching: put the cursor
on a brace or bracket and hit the % key and the cursor would jump to
the corresponding start/end brace/bracket so it is easy to see the
scope of normal C flow control structures even in badly formatted
code.  With goto's there not only is not any real structure to see,
there can be multiple references to a single target and no way at
all to track the "come from's".

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx