Re: FC5->FC6 upgrade broke my sound [UPDATE]

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 22:03 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> Edit modprobe and remove all alsa and oss settings, turn the computer
> completely off, see if you can turn the sound device off in your bios,
> before you boot back up, remove all .asound files or anything you can
> recall that has to do with sound configuration and settings. Get 'em
> all. Turn the computer back off, turn it back on, edit bios to re-enable
> the sound-device then proceed with the boot. Hopefully kudzo, or
> whatever the heck the name of the util for hardware is, will find it and
> set it up correctly. If it works, don't mess with it! An upgrade can be
> dangerous like that when things change from one release to the next with
> major changes. Old setup files go ape. <grins> Ric

I tried this - but don't know all the places to look.  Unfortunately, no
luck.  Today, I downloaded the FC6 LiveCD, and sound seems to work via
that, so I know that Fedora CAN still use my sound system and it's just
something screwy in my config files.

To test, I looked at the modprobe.conf loaded on the LiveCD, and used
that on the machine (with a few small things added for firewire,
ethernet, USB and disabling IPV6).  This did NOT help, leading me to
believe that there is a config file that needs to be changed/removed.  I
just don't know where.  Any suggestions?  Unfortunately, unlike the
apparent target audience for Fedora, I can't start from scratch every
six months when a new version comes out.  I'd like to stick with Fedora,
but if stuff like this keeps happening I may need to shift to something
else.  Feh.

 -Don