Quake 4 unplayable with FC6

I played Quake 4 on FC5 quite happily  20+ FPS @1600x1200,
now under FC6 I'm lucky if I can get above 10FPS.

Details ...

+ FC6 64bit
+ Nvidia GeForce 7800 GS
+  AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+
+ xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-1.0.9631-1.lvn6
+ Fresh install of FC6, I've still got FC5 on a different partition
   if you need any details.
+ FC5 was a 32bit install
+ I've turned Desktop effects off
+ glxgears gives ~4200FPS

I've tried reducing the resolution to 1280x1024 - its not much better.

I've also noticed text and the pointer don't seem to get rendered properly now
either - which make it look the driver to me.

Anyone had similar issues ? I'm trying to decide if its the 9xxx drivers - not that easy to try the 8xxx drivers as they don't exist in livna for the current kernels, and the there are the warnings of the potential problems with the NVidia installer and Fedora. Or perhaps its because I decided to try 64bit Fedora this time - not convinced. Or something else ?

Thanks
Andy