PAE kernel default with 1.5gb of ram?

I just updated a machine with FC4 to use FC6 and it now defaults to this kernel:

 2.6.18-1.2868.fc6PAE #1 SMP

The computer has only 1.5gb of ram in it; why would it want to use a PAE
kernel?  The "regular" kernel is also installed and I tried both, and didn't
see any difference in performance during the minute or two that I played with
it.

I could easily change the default to the regular kernel, but I want to know why
the machine figures it should be using a PAE kernel.