Re: OpenOffice AutoFormat Driving me crazy

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 17:48 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> The subject says it all. How do I stop OfficeOffice Writer from
> continually re-formatting what I am working on. I am writing numbered
> paragraphs, but I do NOT want OO to auto-number them.

An answer for controlling that was answered by Rick (deselect the
autoformat while typing).  However, if you like other autoformatting
options, and just want to kill of that one, you can do so through the
"AutoCorrect" control panel called up through the "Tools" menu.  Untick
its "Apply numbering - symbol" option.

> Moreover I do NOT want OO to suddenly auto-indent a paragraph I have
> just finished writing.

Not a behaviour that I've seen.  What "style" is being applied to what
you're typing?  Sounds like you're still typing a list, rather than a
paragraph, and you'd manually erased the number.

> For example, I end the paragraph, hit 'Return' twice to create a line
> space between the end of the paragraph and the start of the next one,
> and when I hit the *second* return, the first paragraph self-indents a
> tab space....which is just what I do NOT want.

For what it's worth, that's not how you do paragraphs (a word processor
is not an electric typewriter).  You end a paragraph, and start another
one, with *one* hit of the return key.  If you hit it twice, you've put
a blank paragraph between paragraphs, it's illogical, and you end up
with bad formatting issues.

If you want more spacing between paragraphs, adjust the styling of how
paragraphs are formatted (think carefully about whether you want more
space above or below them, or both, considering that other things get
placed between them - tables, headings, etc.).  You'll get consistent
results, that way, and automatically, especially when things cross over
page breaks.  Make sure that the default style being applied to your
text is the "text body" rather than "default".

And for those occasions where you want line breaks instead of paragraph
breaks, like in short verses of prose, type SHIFT + CARRIAGE RETURN.

Once you stop expecting a word processor to act like a typewriter, you
begin to get the results that you want.

I read messages from the public lists.