Udev vs. hal vs. USB vs. KDE -- It's enough to make you weep!

I'm trying to get my system to mount a USB detachable hard drive at boot
time.  Here's what I've found out:

(1) No info on how to get the drive to mount when the system boots,
maybe no way to do this.

However when the KDE desktop starts:

(2) If the drive has no label, it doesn't mount when KDE starts.

(3) But if the drive is labeled it does mount.

(4) If the drive mounts when KDE starts, its mount point is
	/media/_media_foo, assuming the drive has the label "foo".

(5) If the drive is mounted manually using the KDE pop up, the mount
	point is /media/bar, assuming that that "bar" is the the mount
	point specified in the "Properties" dialog box of the KDE pop up
	for the drive.

There is very little documentation about the udev or hal configuration
files, which control all this.

This is a ZOO!  What's going on here?

Thanks - jon