stripped down fc3 version / mptsas driver

Trying to get this automation agent working. It's PXE booting some modified version of fc3. It's been working fine until we got these new batches of machines with the LSI MPT sas controller. The driver it's supposed to use is mptsas, mptbase, mptscsih, etc...

It's not picking it up. I loaded mptsas manually, and tried mknod to create /dev/sda. Fdisk -l doesn't seem to show anything.

My question is how do I get the block device created?