Re: NFS and kernel cache

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 08:14 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

> The fact that Linux stops sending on the network sometimes and stops
> reading the hard drive other times points directly to how the kernel is
> caching writes to NFS (but I can't tell if it is the filesystem layer or
> the network stack).

I think it is access to the physical hard drive, not particularly
NFS that is your bottleneck and it is related to normal buffered
writes.  You'll see about the same pattern if you dd between two
local hard drives.  If your nfs mount has the sync option it might
make things worse.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx