Re: NFS and kernel cache

Chris Adams wrote:
> I'm copying a big chunk of data to a single file on an NFS server (in
> this case, using ntfsclone to back up a NTFS partition).  Both the
> client and the server are on gigabit ethernet, and both are running
> FC6.

What sort of hard disks? What age? What does hdparm -Tt /dev/hd? say on
the appropriate machine?

What else is the NFS server doing?

Les has given you some good advice, but you should also be aware that
 * gigabit Ethernet is considerably faster than current hard disks
 * hard disk performance (in MB/s) drops as you get closer to the inside
   of the disk
 * fragmentation (at either end) or multiple small files (although not
   in this case) can also add overhead.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | How about an Australian-language version?
aprilcottage.co.uk | 'Your program just attempted an illegal instruction.