I810: drmSetBusid failed, Permission denied

I'm failing to get 3D acceleration working no my Intel-915-based Vaio laptop; I *thought* I'd 'just worked' with my initial install of FC5, but I've not upgraded to FC6 & it's not working.

The only real telling thing I can see in the X output (I think I may have seen the BIOS checksum error as well) is:

(II) I810(0): [drm] drmSetBusid failed (10, pci:0000:00:02.0),
Permission denied

  .. and then DRI init. fails.

There's also (in the log or glxgear's output) something about not supporting a certain visual, which I've seen mentioned.

The only clue I can find online talks about gcc version mismatches, but I've not compiled any of these, they're just the normal Fedora RPMs.

The i810 module's loaded, I've got Composite enabled and the DRI mode section in xorg.conf. I've tried adding the VideoRam option with 64Mb, but there aren't any RAM-related warnings in the X output.

  Any ideas what I should check next?

--
[neil@fnx ~]# rm -f .signature
[neil@fnx ~]# ls -l .signature