Re: FC6 82801G sound

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 13:55 +0000, Malcolm Moore wrote:
> If I run the sound detection or play sound and push
> the headphone or speaker socket ALMOST home the sound
> works fine out of the front or the back sockets . If I push the
> plug completely home so it clicks the sound stops.
>
> This is a white box with all Intel chip sets - the sound card
> is detected as 82801G ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
>
> Has anyone seen this/know what the problem is

Generally that is an indication that either the socket or the plug
(generally the plug) is bad.  Since it does this at both sockets, I am
suspecious that the plug is not the correct size.  There are two or
three sizes of those stereo mini plugs, and the metric ones NEARLY match
SAE measurements, however since they are not quite right, they sometimes
short out the plug.  Another problem exists if you have wired the plug
yourself.  The outer shell (the shaft of the stereo plug) should be
common ground, and the ball of the stereo plug should be right (if I
remember correctly) while the tip of the mini plug should be left.  If
ground is mistakenly connected to either of the other two, the result
will generally load the amplifiers so much that no sound (or very
little) comes out.

Check the plug and make sure it fits snugly into the socket (<1/32 inch
of play).  If it can be wobbled much at all, it is the wrong size for
that socket.  Another problem comes when a mono plug is inserted into a
stereo socket.  The mono plug will short out the stereo amp.

Regards,
Les H