Re: sendmail domain masquerade

Matthew Benjamin:

> ok, the symptoms are when I send an email it give the from address as
> me@xxxxxxxxxxxx, I would like it to say from me@xxxxxxxxxxx
> (these are generic names of course). Here is an exact listing of what
> I have in my sendmail.mc, that pertains to masquerading.
>

> LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # The following example makes mail from this host and any additional
> dnl # specified domains appear to be sent from mydomain.com
> dnl #
> MASQUERADE_AS(`noreply.com')dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # masquerade not just the headers, but the envelope as well
> dnl #
> FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
> dnl #
> dnl # masquerade not just @mydomainalias.com, but @*.mydomainalias.com as well
> dnl #
> dnl #
> MAILER(smtp)dnl
> MAILER(procmail)dnl

These might help:

<http://sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/cf/README> search through it
for any references to masquerad (yes, spelt like that so you find
masquerade and masquerading).

<http://sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html>

Just quickly looking through some of the above, it might be that
masquerading isn't happening if the mail stays within the local system.
You could test that by posting to an external mail system, and looking
at the headers received.

You might want to add your desired domain name to the local domain
parameters.  And you might need to be running a local DNS server.

This sort of jiggery-pokery with masquerading is not my forte, though.

I read messages from the public lists.