Re: FC6 PPC Disc test fails

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Rick Stevens wrote:

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 10:14 -1000, Donald Tripp wrote:
I have downloaded both the CD set and the DVD iso images of FC6 PPC. I
checked the sums on an i386 FC6 box, and they passed. I then burned
them using my MacBook Pro and DiskUtility. When I test the discs
during install, they all fail. I tried several different mirrors, and
the same thing happens.

If the checksums are OK, the odds are that the discs are OK.  The disc
check in the installer often fails.

The most reliable check I've been able to run on Intel and AMD platforms
is to disable DMA ("boot: linux nodma"), do the disc check, then reboot
with DMA enabled to do the actual install (after the disc check says
they're OK).  I don't know if the PPC system allows that (it probably
does), so try it.  Remember, turn off DMA ONLY for the disc check.
Leave it enabled for the actual installation.

But again, if you got no errors on the burn and the ISOs checksum
correctly, your odds are over 97% that the discs are fine.

I had the identical problem -- couldn't burn CD images that would install, although they would at least boot stage1. I finally constructed a local mirror on an older machine on my network and then did linux method=http://my_machine/my_url. (And, while I was at it, I fixed a few issues in comps.xml with the default install such as s/sendmail/postfix/, s/syslog/syslog-ng/ from extras, etc to save a few steps after the initial loading.)

Steve Friedman