OT: (x)?html question

Sorry for this somewhat off topic message, but I've had no luck elsewhere... :-(

I thought there was a way in html to define an "entity" and then use that throughout the document.

So, for example I might have something that appears in multiple places but I only want to code it once:

I was thinking of something like...

Then I could use &callno; in the body of the document and the browser would properly substitute the specified value.

I suppose I could write a little javascript function and then use <script>...</script> to call it as needed and the function would use document.write.... but that really is overkill, and I'd prefer not to REQUIRE javascript.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the diversion from our regular program. :-)