Re: Caching updates locally

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Joe Tseng wrote:

I want to be able to cache yum updates locally so when I build machines via kickstart I can have them update more quickly from a local server. I can't seem to recall how to do this using wget, and googling hasn't turned anything up yet. Does anyone know of some page that describes how to do this? Thx.

My personal hack is set yum to cache (add 'keepcache=1' in /etc/yum.conf) before updating the first machine I build on a new distro. Then when I build the second or later machines I tarball up /var/cache/yum and drop it into the new machine before starting the first update. It isn't pretty, but as long you are working inside a single architecture it works like a champ.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of oneâ??s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness