Re: package conflicts while trying to perform the daily update

Tarhon-Onu Victor wrote:

Transaction Check Error: file /usr/bin/pdftoppm from install of poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6 file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz from install of poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6

I just executed "yum -y update" as I usually do from time to time on my workstation from home. My local fedora updates mirror is identical to the one from download.fedora.redhat.com. Is there anyone else having the same problem?

The installed poppler-utils package is version 0.5.4-2, and xpdf-utils is 3.01-26. For some reason 'xpdf-*' should have appeared on the updates FTP site in the same time with poppler-utils (I think), or poppler is not packaged right...

I guess xpdf-utils and poppler-utils provide the same elements which xpdf use. The most common way that people are overcoming the problem is to rpm -e xpdf-utils --nodeps and then running the updater to successfully update the system.

I removed xpdf and xpdf-utils via yum, updated the system and then reinstalled pdf. It is now satisfied by poppler-utils and will reinstall without the need for xpdf-utils.

There is an open bug report for this problem and they are working on a resolution I believe.

Jim

--
Fortune finishes the great quotations, #2

	If at first you don't succeed, think how many people
	you've made happy.