Re: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6

Ed Gurski wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 03:45 -0500, fedora-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:41:34 -0500
From: Ed Gurski <ed@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx

I updated to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 and now I no longer have Gnome. My
login screen  no longer lists Gnome as an option.  I was able to logon
into KDE and saw that Gnome was unchecked with Software updater? I ran
rpm -qa | grep gnome and saw the packages installed, but the Software
updater says otherwise.

On my other systems (4) I was able to install the new kernel without the
same problem... I also noticed that if I ran rpm -qa |grep gnome-d | wc
-l  the working systems have 54 packages and the fouled-up system only
has 38.. Has anyone else experienced this?

I let the Software Update install Gnome again and will restart the GUI.
SOLVED

Well re-installing GNOME solved the problem, but I'm stil not sure what
caused it in the first place......

I remove gnome-screensaver which causes GNOME not to be installed in the view of the software installer. GNOME is still installed minus a few components that were removed intentionally. I guess if some components which would be pulled in using a group install are triggering the group listings to show that they are not present. This is regardless if every other package from the group is installed.

What components were pulled in when you "reinstalled" GNOME?

Jim

--
All progress is based upon a universal innate desire of every organism
to live beyond its income.