Re: How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Tim:
>>> Today, when I tried the link from the Stanton-Finley site, Sun didn't
>>> redirect me to the latest, but stayed at the release number the link
>>> was intended for (1.5.x).  It's now jre1.5.0_10 instead of jre1.5.0_8,
>>> so the paths in the examples to copy and paste need correcting.  That
>>> done, it worked, but the test page wants to install a JRE plug in,
>>> even though it's apparently working, and tells me I'm using an old
>>> version.  The games apparently work (not that *I* can play them).

Gene Heskett:
> IMO you should have let it overwrite the older plugin.

I didn't actually have an older version installed to overwrite, this was
a clean install.  I had two different PCs with FC6 on them, one I tried
with the latest Java 1.6.0 (which appeared to install without issues,
but do nothing when tested).  The second I tried 1.5.0_10 which appeared
to install fine, appeared to test fine, just that page wanted me to
install a plug in the first time around (which I didn't), then later
didn't ask me to do so on a subsequent test.

Installing 1.5.0_10 seems okay, once you update the paths that the
Stanton Finley site gives you examples for (since they're for a prior
version).  So I see no point in attempting older versions of 1.5.0.  My
query was whether anybody had more luck than I did with the current
version (1.6.0).

As far as the linking was concerned, the plug-ins are linked from the
Java installation (within /opt/) to the default for everything
Mozilla-like location (/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/).  Theoretically, I
shouldn't have to mess with Java if Mozilla or Firefox get updated.

My modifications of Stanton Finley's instructions:

Starting from:  <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp>, download
the current, latest, version of 1.5.0 (1.5.0_10 at time of writing).

su -

Move it to /opt/, chmod +x it, run it, agree to the license.

Make a link between the installed plug-in and the default place that
browsers look:

ln -s /opt/jre1.5.0_10/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Restart the browser and test things:
<http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>
Which appears to work (that dancing thing that looks something like a
triangulated penguin does its trick).

Then, for the sake of completeness, I set things up so that other
applications could use this Java, as per the next set of Stanton Finley
instructions, again modified for this release:

gvim /etc/profile.d/java.sh

Put the following into that file:

export J2RE_HOME=/opt/jre1.5.0_10
export PATH=$J2RE_HOME/bin:$PATH

Type in:  source /etc/profile.d/java.sh

Test with:  which java

Get expected results back:  /opt/jre1.5.0_08/bin/java

/usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/jre1.5.0_10/bin/java 2

Select my preferred Java from the list.

Check it with:  /usr/sbin/alternatives --display java

All of which appeared to go off without a hitch, though I haven't
installed any stand-alone Java applications to test it with, yet.

Trying the same with 1.6.0, instead, also appears to go through the
motions without any hitches, but when you try to test the Java in the
browser, it doesn't actually work.  It doesn't matter whether this was
on a machine as the first attempt at installing Java (so it had no prior
versions to compete with), or attempting to install 1.6.0 onto the
machine where 1.5.0_10 actually worked, attempting to update things.