Re: KDE Display config and Screensaver???

On Friday 15 December 2006 08:17, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (1) In my recently installed and updated FC5 and using KDE, I cannot
> make my screensaver work. I can choose the screensaver and test it but
> when I leave the monitor for certain time, only big X (or some
> different random size X) is displayed instead of screensaver I
> selected.
>
> (2) No matter what I do the screen still goes to blank (power saving
> mode) which I don't want. By default the power control was set off in
> KDE Display control but monitor still goes to power saviing mode. From
> the "Enable Display Power Management" and set all the sliders back to
> zero. Still monitor goes to power saving mode.
>
> What I wanted to do is
> Turn off monitor power management and
> Activate the Screensaver I selected.
>
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks

Hi Deepak. To stop the monitor going into standby, and I presume this is on a
PC, not a laptop, you can comment out the DPMS line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

su to root in a terminal, open a text editor, gedit, kwrite, or something,
then go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf .  You'll find the "dpms" line in the monitor
section. Just put a  #  at the start of the line. Save the change, and exit
the text editor.

ctrl+alt+backspace  will shutdown the Xserver, and bring you back to your
log-in screen. Login, and the monitor should now stay up.

Not sure about the odd large  "X" screensaver. I too have seen that and
sometimes when I move the mouse it goes away to be replaced by another
screensaver, presumably the default KDE one.

Not sure about your post about the 50hz refresh rate. I did read that LCD
screens run at 60hz. Perhaps if your using a crt screen, X is wrongly
identifying it as an lcd one.

While your in xorg.conf sorting out the dpms thing, check whether you have 2
lines in the monitor section showing something like, and this is mine on FC5
below.

HorizSync     30.0 - 92.0
VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0

Don't just use those values above. You need to check your monitors values, but
those above set my Compaq P700 CRT monitors to 68.6kHz, and 85Hz at a
resolution of 1024x768.   (17" monitor).

dpms=display power management signalling

Hope some of that helps.

Nigel.