freeze / lock up when plugging in any USB device

When I plug in any USB device (USB thumb drive, external hard drive,
etc), everything freezes up: mouse and keyboard are totally
unresponsive. I did not have this problem on a previous install of
FC6 on the same computer. Trick is, I cannot use the computer at all,
because all my files are archived on my USB external hard drive.

I have already loaded FC6 on my desktop before, had used the previous
partitioning scheme from FC5 (preserving /home without formatting).
Since I had added RAM in the meantime, I wanted to go and reinstall
to make the SWAP space bigger. When I tried to use the computer again
after reinstalling FC6, I ran into the USB freeze up problem. The
computer is running on an old AMD processor.

I searched through the list archives and listed bugs, but did not see
any information that sounded right. One bug did have to do with USB,
but that seemed to be a problem of the device not being recognized.
Mine just locks up the computer.