Re: How to force udev to mount a device if present

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 17:51 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> > On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 22:37 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> You can configure both KDE and Gnome to auto-mount USB drives, CDs
> >> DVDs, and other removable media. For Gnome, it is
> >> gnome-volume-properties.
> >
> > How is this configuration done?  And does it have effect after the
> > system boots but before the desktop is started?  gnome-volume-properties
> > indicates that the system should "Mount removable drives when hot
> > plugged." and under KDE the "Properties" popup for the drive indicates
> > "Mount automatically".  But the drive is not mounted till I click
> > "Mount" in the popup for the drive.  I suspect that part of the problem
> > is that the drive is already plugged into the system when it starts.
> >
> > Thanks - jon
> >
> Having the drive plugged in when you boot should not cause problems.
> There is a coldplug routine that should do the same things as the
> hotplug routine. I am not sure if the drive would be mounted if the
> desktop was not running. There is probably a system setting to
> handle this, but I have not checked on it yet. When I get some free
> time, I will play with this, and let you know. I do know that HAL
> handles the mounting, but I have not looked into the changes from
> FC5 to FC6 yet. I believe that some users were having problems with
> USB drives that did not have a volume lable were not auto-mounting.

You are quite right.  I have given the USB drive a label, and it now
mounts when KDE starts, which is an improvement.

Now the question is how to get it to mount at boot time.

Do you know of a good introduction to udev and hal.  I find a lot of the
stuff in the control files mysterious, for example:
        $ cat 90-hal.rules
        # pass all events to the HAL daemon
        RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
which I suppose passes a command to a daemon listening on a socket, but
what the daemon is (though probably hald) and where it listens I haven't
been able to determine.

Thanks - jon