Re: empty directories installed by fc5 x86_64 SOLVED

> Later on, he writes:
>
> > mounting hda2 on /mnt/fc5-64 reveals the following.
> >
> > [root@office keepertoad]# ls -l /mnt/fc5-64/dev
> > total 0
>
> That explains it.
>
> /dev, /proc, /sys and I *think* /selinux are virtual filesystems --
> their contents don't appear on disk. They're either generated on
> access
> or on boot and are held in memory.
>
> /opt, /srv and /misc will be empty by default on a proper install
> (they're for you to fill as appropriate). /boot and /home may well be
> mount-points for other filesystems (and /mnt is) -- so if you mount
> the
> root filesystem from another OS, they will be empty.
>
> And /net doesn't exist by default -- if you want it, you create it.
>
> Tim's solved one of your problems -- what's the current state of
> things?
>
> (Incidentally, I notice you get list digests. When you reply to the
> list, could you at least make sure that the Subject line is the same
> as
> the e-mail you're replying to, otherwise your e-mail isn't linked to
> the
> rest of the thread? Thanks. Alternatively, you could subscribe to a
> MIME
> version of the digest -- go to
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list to switch
> settings.)
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

Thanks much.  That does indeed explain all.  With the help of a previous
post to this issue I realized my manual grub.conf entry was incorrect.
With that corrected all is well.  Thanks again.

Sorry about the missing subject on last post.  Knew better, just bleary
eyed.

B.J. McClure

Fedora Core 5, Linux 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5smp athlon 21:12:41 up 45 min, 3
users, load average: 0.02, 0.12, 0.10