Re: swap not turned on at boot

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 18:07 -0500, ron wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Can this header checksum be corrected?
>
> # /usr/sbin/lvdisplay
>
> File descriptor 11 left open
> File descriptor 12 left open
> File descriptor 13 left open
>
>   Incorrect metadata area header checksum

Hmmm.  That's a bit disturbing, that is.  Repairing that isn't exactly
easy and you can blow things up in a great big hurry.  What it looks
like is someone ran "mkswap" or fired up swap on your PV (physical
volume).  In all probability, the PV was /dev/sda2, where gparted said
your swap was.  This is one of the dangers of using non-LVM-aware tools
against LVM-based systems.

My recommendation is to do a full reinstall.  I know, I know, you don't
want to, but you may have to anyway since if you make the tiniest little
mistake in the following stuff, it'll hose the system anyway.

1. Do a "swapoff -a" to disable swap.  It looks like the data you gave
me before is bogus.

2. Edit /etc/fstab and remove any references to "swap" or /dev/sda2.  We
do NOT want swap to start on this beast until we sort this out.

3. You must take a look at the file
"/etc/lvm/archive/VolGroup00_(highest-number).vg" and look for the
"pv0{" stanza.  In there will be "device=" thing that gives you the raw
physical device that the VG was made up of.  You need to grab the "id ="
string and recreate the PV using pvcreate:

    # pvcreate --uuid "<id = string>" --restorefile
    /etc/lvm/archive/VolumeGroupName_XXXXX.vg
    <"device=" value>

(that should all be on one line.  I wrapped it for readability).
Do NOT include the "<>" characters and replace the "XXXXX" with the
number of the .vg file.  For example, on my machine, the file is
"/etc/lvm/archive/sys_vg_00000.vg".  In there, I find:

       physical_volumes {

                pv0 {
                        id = "ecTyyn-waBk-HSIN-eMDZ-fLQX-KX1h-zMw0od"
                        device = "/dev/hda2"    # Hint only

                        status = ["ALLOCATABLE"]
                        pe_start = 384
                        pe_count = 3569 # 111.531 Gigabytes
                }
        }

So my pvcreate command would be:

    #pvcreate --uuid "ecTyyn-waBk-HSIN-eMDZ-fLQX-KX1h-zMw0od"
    --restorefile /etc/lvm/archive/sys_vg_00000.vg /dev/hda2

(again all on one line).  As I said, this is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS to do.

4. Create a swap _file_ on one of your volumes and use it instead of a
partition.

>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>   VG Name                VolGroup00
>   LV UUID                sBlZ56-28sj-2Qv2-IB50-XPLS-gRII-W0Q107
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                74.59 GB
>   Current LE             2387
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:0
>
>   --- Logical volume ---
>   LV Name                /dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00
>   VG Name                VolGroup01
>   LV UUID                xsCAOz-Bk8k-AAhI-n7GA-zJVg-g661-4LSvqU
>   LV Write Access        read/write
>   LV Status              available
>   # open                 1
>   LV Size                19.50 GB
>   Current LE             624
>   Segments               1
>   Allocation             inherit
>   Read ahead sectors     0
>   Block device           253:1

Well, it's rather obvious that you never had a /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
device to use as swap, so that's why it never got turned on.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.  -
-                                                -- Chuck Yeager     -