Xorg problem: DRI not being loaded (and so poor OpenGL performance)

Hi

I have a Radeon XPress 200M card, and am running FC 5 x86_64. Having had months of trying to get ATI's lousy proprietary driver for my card to work, I was happy to discover upon installing the (2187?) kernel some time ago that the opensource radeon driver now supported my card.

Unfortunately, I am getting only about 440 FPS (today in fact it was as low as 380). Until now, I thought this was a problem with the driver, but recently after some research, I found this was a problem to do with DRI being loaded, as part of Xorg.

Sure enough, I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and found errors along the lines of:

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card254
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
[dri] Disabling DRI.
(II) RADEON(0): Detected total video RAM=31744K, accessible=131072K (PCI BAR=131072K)

Q> So why is DRI not being loaded and enabled? How can I fix this and so boost fps for my graphic card, or is this a bug? At these fps, opengl is not really usable.

Would updating any packages I have or updating to Core 6 fix this problem? (Some suggestions I found on cyberspace were to "update your DRI"...)

Thanks,
LS

Relevant sections of my xorg.conf:
Section "Module"