Re: nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 09:21 +0800, Hadders wrote:
I suppose you could argue that it's to much work for nvidia to support
one of the largest Linux distros. However, they seem to handle supporting Windows okay, but then again, there's a much larger market share and I'm sure there's a greater financial incentive.

My understanding (could be wrong), is that FC isn't actually one
of the largest linux distros, by a reasonable margin.  And being a
fraction of Linux is insignificant compared to Windows (also, my
experience with 9x era Windows drivers suggests many of them are
not well packaged, things may be better now).

It would be nice to see nVidia support FC by incorporating livna, but then again, I also understand it's easier for them from many many perspectives to make the drivers available and let the distro fend for
itself.

Better to have a few repos with just about all you need, than having to
configure your system with masses of repos, one for each bit of special
hardware you have on your system (video cards, LAN NICs, sound cards,
I/O cards, etc.).

Also, think of all the projects that have CVS/SVN and GNU style
tarballs with autoconf/configure.  While these are easier to
adapt to RPM packages it's basically the same issue; they'll
all do things slightly differently and the distro's role is to
standardise them (and allow you to remove them easily without them
interfering with each other too much).

--
imalone