Re: FC6 on Dell Poweredge 6300

Andrew Mather wrote:
Hi All,

I'm trying to install FC6 on an (ancient) Dell Poweredge 6300 machine that's
currently running RH7.2.

It's a quad-xeon 500MHz machine with 4Gb of RAM.

It has a bunch of SCSI drives attached to an Adaptec 7840 (or is it 7860,
not near the machine right now) SCSI controller.
There are two other Adaptec controllers in the machine, one of which has the
tape drive and CDROM. of the 3 controllers, 2 are the same (either 7840, or
7860) and the other is the other of these.  Now that's clear isn't it ?
;-)

The installer just keeps rebooting the machine at the point where it tries
to load the aic7xxx diver module.

We've tried booting with the noprobe option and then manually loading the
module and have tried a couple of options to the module itself, but it
either hangs, or reboots at the same point.

At one point, we got it to the graphical installer stage, but no drives were
visible.

Has anyone managed to get FC6 (or even 5 or 4 will do) on this sort of
hardware and if so, are there any tips you could pass on, or resources we
could find ?

Google hasn't been much help.
Haven't got one of those but
Did you check out linux.dell.com ?
and google {modelno} site:linux.dell.com ?

DaveT.