Re: Issues w/ cups-lpd

Tim Waugh wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 12:37 -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>Having the user hand-create the printer queues isn't an option.
>>

>For kickstart %post scripts, use printconf-tui to create the raw queue.
>The '--Xexport' and '--Ximport' options are what you need.
>

>>Isn't "lpadmin" supposed to be able to do everything that the server
>>on port :631 does?
>>

>What we are battling in this thread is a quirk of the way
>system-config-printer worked before it was re-written to avoid any of
>this being necessary.  It is no longer necessary in Fedora Core 6.  The
>big bug of system-config-printer having its own special configuration
>files has been fixed.
>
>Tim.
>*/

Not to rehash the issue, but I'm still not clear:  why would the
behavior of system-config-printer (which is optional) interfere with
the basic functionality of cups-lpd?

And how is it the regression testing of "cups" for the CLI
commands ("lp", "lpadmin,", etc) didn't uncover that all of this
had stopped working?

Seems odd that in Unix, where scripting and the CLI rule the
roost, that the basic commands stopped working and only the
CLI functions correctly.

-Philip

P.S. I tried creating the Generic Printer/Raw queue with the
     GUI tool, but that didn't solve the problem...